A long time ago, in the days of the Wild West, cowboys in Texas received cheap cuts of meat for their work when butchering a carcass. To cook food quickly, they cut them into thin strips or laces (faja – lace) and fried them on coals in camping pans.
The Mexican appetizer fajitas differs from similar burritos or tacos in that all the toppings are placed separately on the table and the guest himself puts whatever he wants on the tortilla. This is a great solution if you have a house party and you are running out of time to prepare treats. Gather everyone around a table centered around guacamole, sour cream, grated cheese, sauces, salsa, and a large baking sheet of roasted bell peppers and chicken. It will take you no more than half an hour to prepare such a dish. And in order to quickly finish with dirty dishes, first cover the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 700 g pork pulp (flank, shoulder)
- 3 multi-colored sweet peppers
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- chili pepper flakes
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 12 small tortillas or 3-4 large ones
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 limes
- 2 chili peppers
- 2 medium tomatoes
- half a red onion
- 5 sprigs of cilantro
- juice of half a lime
- Cut the meat into very thin strips and place in a container or bowl. Peel the garlic and place it in a blender. Add vinegar, orange juice, salt, black pepper, oregano, cumin, and cinnamon, add chili flakes to taste, and mix until smooth. Pour the pork with the resulting marinade, mix, cover, and refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- Remove seeds and membranes from peppers and cut them into strips. Peel the onion and cut it into feathers. Cut green onions into 5 cm pieces. Heat a cast-iron skillet with olive oil and fry the vegetables until soft. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- For the salsa, remove the seeds from the chili and chop very finely. Cut the tomatoes and onion into small cubes, and chop the cilantro. Put the vegetables in a bowl, pour over the lime juice and salt, and leave to marinate for 10-20 minutes.
- Reheat the tortillas in the oven or microwave and keep warm under a towel.
- Add a little oil to the pan, put the pieces of pork, shake them from the marinade, and fry until golden brown over high heat. Add the sauteed vegetables, stir and heat together, for 3 minutes. Fajitas must be very hot.
- Serve the fajitas in a skillet. Separately serve tortillas, salsa, sour cream, cilantro, and lime. Fajitas are eaten like this: they grease the tortilla with sour cream, put some meat with vegetables, add salsa and a couple of sprigs of cilantro, sprinkle with lime juice, and roll into a tube.