Mold Symptoms

How do you tell if mold is making you sick?

Mold toxicity is a condition caused by exposure to indoor toxic mold that is known to cause health issues. 

Symptoms of mold toxicity can be divided into two main categories: 

  1. Allergy type of symptoms that constitute an immune reaction to mold;
  2. A chemical and inflammatory reaction to mold driven by mycotoxins. 

Symptoms of mold toxicity can be vague, broad, and hard to pin down and include cognitive difficulties, pain, unexplained weight gain or weight loss, numbness and tingling, metallic taste in the mouth, vertigo or dizziness, tinnitus, digestive issues, significant fatigue, changes in mood, excessive thirst and dehydration, and symptoms that resemble hormone imbalances. 

Mold toxicity is often misdiagnosed, undiagnosed, or left untreated in conventional medicine, as it can be hard to describe symptoms and hard to be identified if the healthcare provider does not have experience with mold issues beyond allergy or asthma worsening. Testing for mold toxicity is typically the first step. Still, tests have some major drawbacks, including false negatives and false positives, not being covered by insurance, and not being able to test all toxins. 

Treatment for mold toxicity can include lifestyle changes, such as reducing exposure to mold, improving nutrition, and reducing stress, as well as medications and supplements to reduce inflammation and support detoxification. 

Mold toxicity is a serious issue that can cause a wide range of symptoms, and it is important to pay attention to the symptoms of mold toxicity and to seek help from a qualified healthcare provider if you think you may be experiencing mold toxicity. With the right diagnosis and treatment, it is possible to reduce symptoms and improve your health.