Ukrainian Borsch to Improve Methylation
Ukrainian Borsch Rich in Betaine from the Beets to Support Methylation
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 35 minutes Serves 6-8
1 tbsp ghee, avocado oil or butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
3 large carrots, grated
1-2 small beets, cubed
6-8 cups chicken broth (1/2 chicken cooked in the broth included)
1 cup tomato sauce and/or 3 tbsp tomato paste
3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 medium cabbage, thinly sliced
Fresh cilantro, green onion, and parsley for garnish
1/2 bunch dill, chopped
- Set the pot over medium heat and add your choice of oil/fat.
- Add the onion to the pot; saute for 5 min until translucent.
- Add salt, carrots, beets, and celery. Saute for 5 – 7 min.
- Add the chicken and chicken broth, tomato paste/tomato sauce, potatoes and bring the soup to a boil, cover with a lid, turn down the heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Once ready, add sliced cabbage and dill and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add more salt if needed, mix. Ladle the soup into the bowl, garnish with cilantro and parsley and serve.