Butternut Squash Soup (paleo, AIP, Whole 30, dairy-free, gluten-free)
I love making this soup because it is so easy! The most challenging part is peeling and cutting the butternut squash though! I found that Costco has peeled and precut squash and this soup became a staple in our house during fall season. Sometimes I add a tiny dash of cayenne pepper to bring out the fire and add more flavor. But be careful if you decide to do that! A tiny bit of cayenne pepper goes a LONG way!
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups peeled & chopped butternut squash
- sea salt to taste
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (14 ounces)
- 2-3 cups bone or chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- roasted pumpkin seeds and coconut milk for garnish (instead of sour cream) – omit for AIP diet.
- Add oil, chopped onion, and garlic to a large pot set on medium-high heat. Sauté for 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chopped butternut squash and seasoning to the pot.
- Add coconut milk and bone broth to the pot and bring it to a low boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. The squash should be tender once cooked through.
- I personally do not use an immersion blender as it does not blend the butternut squash enough. I also stay away from pouring hot liquids into my plastic Blendtec.
- Cool off the soup to room temperature, transfer soup to a blender and purée on high until creamy and smooth.
- Pour soup back into the large pot. Reheat if ready to eat it, if not – put the pot into the fridge.
- Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds and coconut milk and serve!
Have you tried butternut squash before?